Python was designed for web servers that handle a large amount of traffic, that is why it is chosen by industry leaders. It helps do more with fewer lines of readable code.
Ruby is a decent performer, but really fast hardware shall be used to make use of the good performance. Since hitting version 2.0, introducing a lot of new features and stability improvements.
ASP: The New Era of Web Development
ASP is short for Active Server Pages, and obviously, it is a server-side scripting language. ASP is developed by Microsoft, and it is primary thought to work under IIS (Internet Information Server) on Windows NT Server. ASP enables the server to deliver dynamic, database driven content to the client with minimal effort.
Similar to other back-end languages, servers first read the ASP file to see if there are tasks that need to be executed. Only when the server is done with the execution part, the result is delivered to the client. The client only sees the
result of the server’s work. That means when you try to view the source code by the “View Source” common menu in web browsers, you only the the rendered HTML and CSS, but not the actual instructions that made that markup look like that.
But why should developers learn ASP?
• Language Independence ASP is defined as a scripting engine which helps developers develop in virtually any language. There are endless modules for other languages like Perl and Python that extend the engine implementation capabilities.
• Ease of Use You can use ASP on your HTML pages just by embedding it like this: <% and %>
• Hosting There is a wide support by hosting companies and prices aren’t high. There are more than 800 hosting companies currently supporting ASP with prices under $10.
• Extensibility COM components make ASP a limitless language. There might now be a way to send e-mail using standard ASP functions but there are a lot of compontent that will help you achieve this.
• Short Learning Curve It is easy to learn ASP if you’re already a programmer or even if you only know basic HTML. The learning curve is short and not so difficult.
• Huge Community There is a wide community of professional ASP developers ready to answer your questions all over the internet. So, you will never get stuck in some sort of trouble.
Perl: Practical Extraction and Report Language
Perl is a programming language mainly designed for text processing. It was developed by Larry Wall. It runs on a variety of platforms like Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The language can also be considered a general-purpose language used for a wide range of tasks including system administration, web development, network programming and GUI development.
Perl supports both procedurial and object-oriented programming and has an impressive collection of third-party modules. Perl 5 added some new features that support complex data structures, first-class functions, which means, closures as values, and an object-oriented programming model. These features include references, packages, class-based method dispatch, and compiler directives. Another major additional feature introduced with Perl 5 was the ability to package code as reusable modules. Accord- ing to Larry Wall “The whole intent of Perl 5’s module system was to encourage the growth of Perl culture rather than the Perl core.”
All versions of Perl do automatic data-typing and automatic memory-management. The interpreter knows the type and storage requirements of every data object in the program; it allocates and frees storage for them as necessary using reference counting.
Perl derives from the C programming language and to a lesser extent from sed, awk, the Unix shell, and many other tools and languages.
Go: Open Source and Productive
The Go programming language is an open source project (programming language) created by Google in 2007. Go is recognizably in the tradition of C, but it makes changes to improve conciseness, simplicity, and safety.
Go is expressive, concise, clean, and efficient. Its concurrency mechanisms make it easy to write programs that get the most out of multicore and networked machines, while its novel type system enables flexible and modular program construction. Some other advantaged of the Go languages are:
• Compiles very quickly
• Supports concurrecy at the language level
• Functions are first-class objects in Go
• Strings and maps are built into the language
• Go has garbage collection
Java: Last, but not Least
Even though it seems like Java is mainly the desktop language, it is used quite extensively to create web application. This is done using the Java Enterprise Edition. According to W3Tech, Java is the server-language of choice for large-scale websites with a high volume of traffic. Java Servlets, JSP and WebObjects are some of the solutions on the server side which use Java. An important reason why Java is used among sites with such workload is the speed it offers. Let’s have a brief look at Java’s most used technologies for the web.
• Java Servlet API The Java Servlet API enables you to define HTTP-specific classes. A servlet class extends the actual capabilities of servers that host applications that are accessed by way of a request-response programming model. Although servlets can respond to any type of request, they are commonly used to extend applications hosted by web servers. For example, you might use a servlet to get the text input from an online form and print it back to the screen in an HTML page and format, or you might use a different servlet to write the data to a file or database instead. A servlet runs on the server side – without an application GUI or HTML user interface (UI) of its own.
• JavaServer Pages Technology JavaServer Pages (JSP) technology provides a simplified, quick way to create dynamic web content. JSP technology enables rapid development of web-based applications that are server and platform independent. JSP technology lets you add snippets of servlet code directly into a text-based document. Typically, a JSP page is a text-based document that contains two types of text: Static data, which can be expressed in any text-based format, such as HTML, Wireless Markup Language (WML), or XML JSP technology elements, which determine how the page constructs dynamic content
• Java Message Service API Messaging is a method of communication between software components or applications. A messaging system is a peer-to-peer facility. In other words, a messaging client can send messages to and receive messages from any other client. Each client connects to a messaging agent that provides facilities for creating, sending, receiving, and reading messages. By combining Java technology with enterprise messaging, the Java Message Service (JMS) API provides a powerful tool for solving enterprise computing problems.
• Java API for XML Processing The Java API for XML Processing (JAXP), part of the Java SE platform, supports the process- ing of XML documents using the Document Object Model (DOM), the Simple API for XML (SAX), and Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations (XSLT). JAXP enables applications to parse and transform XML documents independent of a par- ticular XML-processing implementation.
• Java Persistence API The Java Persistence API is a Java technology standards-based solution for persistence. Persistence uses an object-relational mapping approach to bridge the gap between an object-oriented model and a relational database. Java technology persistence consists of three areas:
– The Java Persistence API
– The query language
– Object-relational mapping metadat
To conclude, there is one thing for sure to be taken into close consideration: Learn what is best for you. That being said, languages may vary depending on a specific favorite, a project or job etc. What works best for you, might not work for another, so it is okay to start with whatever fits best for you. All languages mentioned in this article are powerful and will surely get you a good job.
Web development is of big interest as more and more data and systems are going online. It is a great investment to learn a web programming language, not only because it will be useful, but also because it strongly helps gain even other languages easier.